Frequently Asked Questions

 Learn more about tax returns here. When you’re ready, complete the short tax form, our team will do the rest.

You need to file an income tax return in the following situations:

  • If you receive any income besides your PAYE (Pay As You Earn) income, such as income from a trade or business, rental income, being a proprietary director, or any other type of income.
  • If you’ve been granted SARP relief
  • You need to make a tax return under self-assessment if your non-PAYE income meets either of the following criteria:
    • Your taxable net income (after deducting losses, capital allowances, and other reliefs) amounts to €5,000 or more in a year.
    • Your total gross income reaches €30,000 or more in a year, you must file a tax return. This applies regardless of whether you owe any tax on this income e.g. when reduced by losses, capital allowances, or other tax reliefs.

The deadline for submitting and paying tax returns for self-employed earnings in a particular year is 31st October of the following year.

Example: for income earned in 2024 the tax return deadline is 31st October 2025.

For tax-payers who pay and file through the ROS system an extended deadline is usually announced during the tax year.

There is no obligation to use a certified accountant to complete your income tax return, our Taxreturned.ie system automatically submits this for you. 

PAYE workers need to submit a Form 12, unless the non-PAYE income exceeds €5,000. In that situation, you must register for the Self Assessment Income Tax system along with submitting Income Tax Form 11.

The expense must be business related and must be used wholly and exclusively for the purposes of your trade.

Yes — you are obliged to file a self-assessed return every year by the deadline of 31st October, even if you did not make any profit.

Yes. Income earned and taxes deducted via the PAYE system are incorporated into your income tax return along with any additional non-PAYE Income.

In effect an income tax return is a declaration of your full livelihood, therefore engaging the services of professionals such as Taxreturned.ie is recommended.

Yes, you must pay Income Tax and Preliminary Income Tax on any rental profit.

It is your rental profit and not the gross rents that you pay Income Tax on.

Preliminary tax is your estimate of income tax and related charges payable by you for the current tax year to be paid along with the previous year’s tax liability. These are both due in the same event.

In calculating your preliminary tax payment, you should ensure that it covers your liability for your Income Tax, USC & PRSI.

To calculate preliminary tax due you must choose at least one of the below:

  • 90% of the tax due for that year
  • 100% of the tax due for the preceding year
  • 105% of the tax due for the pre-preceding year (this option only applies where you pay by direct debit – it does not apply if the tax due for the pre-preceding year was zero).

If you don’t pay your Preliminary Tax on time you will be charged interest for late payment of your tax.

You can register using Revenue’s Online Service (ROS) or by submitting the tax registration Form TR1. Alternatively, Taxreturned.ie can do this for you for a fee of €50.

Tax Clearance Certificates must be applied for through Revenue On-Line Service (ROS). The certificate will only be issued if all of your tax returns and payments are up to date. It will be cancelled at any time during the year if your tax returns and payments go behind.

If you need help email us at [email protected] and we’ll be happy to assist you.

For disposals made from January 1st and November 30th, CGT payments are due by 15 December in the same tax year. Use CGT Payslip A for this payment.

For disposals from December 1st to December 31st, CGT payments are due by 31 January in the following tax year. Use CGT Payslip B for this payment.

You must record the sale of assets by completing a tax return, even if no liability arose, as Revenue are aware of the sale but are unaware of whether or not you have tax liability due.

All capital losses must be reported by completing your tax return in order to use them against future gains.

Failure to file a tax return for these payments will result in penalties even if liability is paid in full.